Harry appears since 1:1 Arriving in Paradise. He is not portrayed by a real animal, but is a CGI animation.
He is a lizard, a Leopard Anole, or Guadeloupan Anole (Anolis Marmoratus).
Initially, Richard Poole was startled to see him. Later (1:3 Predicting Murder), Richard is seen trying out different cat food varieties on him. He then gets a book on lizard care and discovers what sort of food he really likes. By 2:8 A Deadly Party, Poole has named him "Harry", allegedly after Prince Harry, a member of the British Royal Family. Jack Mooney, on the other hand, thinks that he doesn't look like a "Harry".
Harry likes mangoes and mozzies mushed up.
Talking to Harry
- Ay, yai yai! What if I'd trodden on you? There's no point looking at me like that, I'm off.
- Shoo. Shoo, shoo!
- [about the fish tank] It's not for you. What do you think?
- I'm trying to work here, so you can stop looking at me like that. You look like... My mother. That is exactly how my mother looks at me.
- [about the cat food] Then how about this one? Oh, come on, this one claims to be "as good as it looks", which is a startling slogan, considering how it looks. If eight out of ten cats have a preference, can't one lizard?
- How was your day? That bad? Although I'm assuming no-one actually died. Which means I almost certainly have you beat.
- If you could just pass me those tweezers? No, sorry, of course you can't. You don't have opposable thumbs. That would be mad. Like running a forensics lab in your kitchen. Or talking to a lizard.
- Always read the instructions, Harry.
- Just you and me now, old thing. Come on, then. Plenty of room.
- Welcome home, buddy. You feeling better?
- You know, you really had me worried there. I know, it's probably my fault for overfeeding you, but you don't have to eat everything you see on the plate, do you? Now, the vet says you've got to go on a diet. Sorry. This is our little secret, OK? Go on, off you scuttle, enjoy yourself.
- What can you say about Commissioner Selwyn Patterson? That's not a rhetorical question, Harry. I need some help here.
- Well, Harry. Fancy a brew? Yep, looks like it's just you and me again, old fella.
- Harry! Breakfast!
- You do know that's evidence in a murder case you're contaminating there?
Talking about Harry
- Camille: Shouldn't your lizard be on the inside? [of the fish tank]
- Richard: It's not my lizard.
- Camille: Then whose is it?
- Richard: Oh, actually I will need someone to look after Harry.
- Camille: Harry?
- Richard: My lizard. I had to give him a name. I couldn't just keep calling him lizard.
- Camille: Only you could call a lizard Harry.
- Richard: It was in the paper when I was trying to think of a name. Prince Harry. I think he looks quite like him. He likes fruit, you know. Well, mangoes. And any bugs you can catch. You know, he sort of likes it best if you mash the bugs up in the fruit. No big deal, a couple of times a day. Well, in the morning at eight and again at six.
- Camille: Don't worry, I'll take care of your lizard.
- Humphrey: There was a lizard in the bathroom.
- Camille: Harry. He comes with the house.
- Humphrey: Ah! Sitting tenant?
- Florence: Morning, Sir. Pleasant evening?
- Humphrey: Yes. Yes, it was, actually. Dinner a deux at the shack.
- Florence: A deux?
- Humphrey: Well, me and Harry, as it goes. But it was good to catch up. It's been a while.
- Florence: Oh, there's a pet lizard we should tell you about.
- Jack: A lizard?
- Dwayne: Harry.
- Siobhan: So, how will we recognise him?
- Florence, Dwayne, JP (simultaneously): He's green.
- Jack: Right, that narrows it down a bit, thank you.
- Jack: Siobhan! That lizard's back.
- Siobhan: He's called Harry.
- Jack: Well, he doesn't look like a Harry.
- Siobhan: He probably wants feeding.
- Jack: Surely he can do that for himself. Catch things with that ridiculous tongue of his.
- Siobhan: Well, JP said he likes mangos and mozzies mashed up.
- Jack: Oh, so now we're mashing up mosquitoes for a lizard? Seriously, Siobhan?
- Siobhan: You won't forget to feed Harry?
- Jack: Who's Harry?
- Siobhan: I know you love him really.
- Jack: Let's just say we've come to an understanding. I mash up his mango and he doesn't sneak up on me in the shower, when I'm most vulnerable. Besides, the more I look at him, the more he reminds me of your Auntie Bridget.
- Siobhan: Thick-skinned?
- Jack: No. Beady eyes and bandy legs. And the sneaking up on me in the shower.
- Jack: He's definitely a bit green around the gills.
- Dwayne: Isn't he supposed to be that colour, being he's a lizard?
- Jack: Just can't believe. I mean, he's just a lizard, for Pete's sake.
- Florence: Maybe he's more than that. Like it or not, perhaps Harry's become a part of your new life here.
- Jack: Maybe.
- Jack: Be good to have him back, Florence. It really wasn't the same without him.
- Florence: And I'm sure Harry agrees. I'll go get us a couple of beers to celebrate. Give you both a moment.
- Jack: You're right. Harry, he is a part of my life.
- Here’s how Death in Paradise brings Harry the Lizard to life
- DVD extra: Harry the Lizard (2) at RadioTimes
To improve this article, discuss it on the Talk page.